Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Welcome to Marilyn's Family!

Welcome to Marilyn’s Family Tree!
This blog is dedicated to seniors, their families and the communities that they live in.  Through this blog, we’ll discuss life transitions, the late chapters of life, and family traditions.  But mostly, we’ll talk about remembering that though our bodies age, we all have a spirit inside of us that never ages.
Marilyn’s Family Tree has been launched in honor of my grandma, Marilyn. She became caught up in the difficulties of aging and lost hope all too soon.  My grandma was a very strong source of strength for me in my late teens and 20’s, so when she began her emotional decline, it was hard on my family - and we felt frustrated and hopeless.  During that time, I tried to call her every day to remind her of her worth, but I quickly realized that it took far more than a phone call to build her emotional strength and self-worth.  After she passed away, I knew there needed to be louder messages for seniors and their families dealing with such intense transitions and crisis.  Guidance, mentoring, and empowerment for seniors and their families became my life work.
Marilyn’s Family Tree is a place that grandchildren can talk about reaching their grandparents, adult children can discuss their frustrations, and seniors can openly vocalize their daily challenges.  There will be guest writers through this process to guide us in our journey - seniors in Assisted Living that can give guidance, adult children who understand all there is to manage with an aging parent, and medical professionals who work in this community every day.  It is my hope that we can all learn from each other through discussions and stories as we all navigate through the tricky process of aging.
Let’s begin our journey - and let’s never stop respecting the ageless spirit in us all.
To the beauty of age and wisdom,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment